Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sharleen Spiteri injects soul into Melody

Over the past twenty years Sharleen Spiteri is mostly associated with the Scottish rock band Texas. Intererstingly, she's just released her first solo album, 'Melody' and the accompanying Northern soul single 'All The Times I Cried'. The album is a masterclass in singer/songwriting and makes Duffy and Adele sound souless.

Spiteri not only wrote and produced all the songs on the album, apart from one track which was co-produced by ex-Suede guitarist Bernard Butler at Edwyn Collins' London studio. Now, at he age of 40, Sharleen says the album was her response to the recent split with her longtime partner Ashley Heath, the father of her daughter Misty Kyd.

The collection of songs sound genuine and steeped in authentic soul power. The influences are there, with shades of the Supremes, Shangri-las, Dusty Springfield, Nancy Sinatra, Jackie De Shannon, and even Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin.

The title track, 'Melody', is based on 'Jane B', the b-side of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin's 1969 'Je T'Aime Moi Non Plus'. "It's about me finding salvation through this record," explains Sharleen. "Coming out of a long relationship, made me rethink my life and the one thing that kept me going was music."

The album closes with a sentimental tribute to the 60's singer Francoise Hardy. Explains Sharleen, "It's saying, 'You tried to take something from me, you maybe took it for a second, but you never really stole it'."

This is a wonderful sounding record with a authentic sounding sixties sound sung by a real torch singer with plenty of emotion, heart and soul. Not only does Sharleen sound sexy and sultry, but she displays buckets of emotion and makes each song sound like a memorable timeless modern classic.

She's not faking it.

2 comments:

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

This is her on Jools Holland yeah? Actually I thought she was drowned out by the other people on that show but she is much better than Duffy and Adele!
Ciao

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com

P.S. I'm adding you to my blogroll! Just tell me if you disapprove, I'll take it right down!

Cucumber Jones said...

Wow, Jamjars. Thank you.

I read on in some silly album review that this album could only be played one time. What do these critics know? I'm probably on my 18th play of the entire album. Spiteri has come up with a wonderful album. We are digging it.

The new Duffy album has 2 or 3 decent tracks, but every track on Sharleen's album is an instant classic.

But then agin, Sharleen has the advantage and the experience.